Mighty Epiphyte nurtures, advises, and guides companies through the certification process while consulting on business and marketing strengths!
“What does B Corp certification mean?”
In the words of Certified B Corporation:
“B Corp certification is to sustainable business what LEED certification is to green building, Fair Trade certification is to coffee, or USDA Organic certification is to milk.”
Certified B Corporations must voluntarily meet higher standards of transparency, accountability and performance, as well as help build a collective voice through the power of the unifying B Corporation brand. Unlike traditional corporations, certified B Corporations are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions not only on their shareholders, but also on their stakeholders (e.g., the community, the environment, workers, suppliers and consumers).
Certified B Corps voluntarily create higher quality jobs and improve the overall quality of life in communities worldwide, instead of relying only on government and nonprofit sectors to solve some of the more challenging societal issues. Certified B Corps are dedicated to creating corporate value for society, not just shareholders. In fact, the B Corp Declaration states that:
- We must be the change we want to see in the world.
- All business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
- Through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
- We act with the understanding that we are each dependent on each other and, thus, responsible for each other and future generations.
B Corp certification is part of a global movement started by B Lab, a nonprofit organization that serves to redefine success in business so that all companies compete not only to be the best in the world, but the best for the world. B Lab drives this systemic change through a number of interrelated initiatives:
- Building a community of Certified B Corporations to make it easier for all of us to tell the difference between truly good companies and simply good marketing.
- Passing legislation to accelerate growth of social entrepreneurship and impact investing.
- Driving capital to high-impact investments through the use of GIIRS Ratings* and Analytics.
- Providing free, powerful tools for businesses to measure, compare, and improve their social and environmental performance.
To learn more about B Lab, visit the Non-Profit Behind B Corps page on the Certified B Corporation website.
*GIIRS Ratings are the gold standard for impact measurement in impact investing. They are rigorous, comprehensive, and comparable ratings of a company or a fund’s social and environmental impact. The GIIRS Rating is powered by the B Impact Assessment.